Apr 4, 2019
ILMS 20 – Ministry Talks: Friendship and Ministry
1 Samuel 14:1-7 - Jonathan and his armor bearer
Step One of Friendship: Prayer
Step Two: Admitting friendship isn’t easy
Friendship will continue to be a challenge as long as we walk the earth
- God = relational, Genesis 2:25
- Satan likes isolation
- dual relationships
- Ministry and friendship are both personal
Step Three: Vulnerability = walking into a situation exposed
- no hiding
- Boundaries with flexibility
How do we drop the armor satan would put on us and pick up God’s armor so we can walk vulnerably into relationships?
1) Do the inviting
2) Know there will be hurt and pain
3) Two things that grow relationships – awkwardness and forgiveness
4) Addressing expectations directly, having uncomfortable conversations
5) Finding a script
Step Four: Mindfulness = awareness, bringing what is unconscious to consciousness
- consider the dynamics at play
6 things to be particularly mindful of for friendship in ministry
1) confidence and confidentiality
2) Misunderstandings and assumptions
5) Power dynamics in ministry
- Address these honestly and upfront
6) Confusion of spirituality
Resources: Uninvited by Lysa Terkheurst
SWF seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche
Focus on the Family article about friendship for teens - https://www.focusonthefamily.com/pare...
Articles on friendship:
The Four Myths of Friendship https://ilovemyshepherd.com/ilovemysh...
Bring me a Friend, Lord! https://ilovemyshepherd.com/ilovemysh...
Tending Friendship https://ilovemyshepherd.com/ilovemysh...
Dessert Night https://ilovemyshepherd.com/ilovemysh...
Moving and friendship – addressed further in episode 15