Aug 1, 2018
Ministry Talks 3 – Church Work Children
Opening the conversation for our children and families about
church work and faith life
Church as a Safe Place
- Developmentally children have a hard time with abstract
concepts of grace, mercy, and the big ideas we want them to
- We teach them in many ways around the Word with words
- but primarily children understand faith and God’s work through
the Word with experiences and relationships
Church can feel like a dark place at times, even though it
“should” be light-filled and darkness can be scary.
- This is confusing for children
- Need to talk about it openly, address it kindly, without
gossip, but gentle honesty
- 1 Peter 1:9 – God is working mercy in the places we don’t even
- Ephesians 5:8 – he is growing us as people of Light
- 6:4-9 in Gospel
- The same God is Lord over our homes, our families, and our
- Helping kids see God in our homes, as well as at church
- Not knowledge that saves us
- Not our work, even church work that saves us
- Talking openly about God’s Word intentionally, so children know
it’s not just our job, but our love for Christ
- Balancing home and ministry
- Let them talk about the joys and the hard stuff too
Questions at the table
What is the Gospel/God doing in our family?
What has the Gospel/God done in our family?
What is the Gospel/God doing in our church?